Wednesday, July 4, 2007

our friends

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

We have amazing friends. I can't say that enough. Every time I look at our wedding party photo on the wall, I get get goosebumps. When I get the "tiki" email from Jenny. When Mike calls to say he's on his way from points far away. When our musician friends want to help launch my husband's singing career. When Susan wants to watch "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club" with Peter Frampton and the BeeGees. When Liam comes over with a bootleg of banned/politically incorrect Warner Brother cartoons to watch.

We can all say what we feel without fear of offense. We are all honest with each other. If something is bothering someone, it gets talked about. Dinner bills are split equally with no quibbling. The most childish jokes and entertainment are delightful and memorable: Paula fan dancing with turkey decorations, Mike's rendition of fairy while playing Outburst, Jill & Wendy's "sister, disco, rainbow" in another Outburst game. Deanna dancing to "Maniac" and peeing herself (she's pregnant). It goes on. And on.

"The Friends" as my little friend Lucy calls us, are just who they are with each other and never pretend to be anything other than their authentic selves. Who could ever ask for more?

New members are born into the circle and some even elect to join willingly. Recently one of the founding members of "the Usual Suspects" (which is our local "club" that enjoys having birthday celebrations together - well, just eating together, screw the birthdays) mentioned that she sometimes felt a little awkward with her two children in tow. Well my friend, they are most assuredly part of the group. Not only as extensions of you and your husband, but as persons in their own right who make their own contributions to the world of our friends. Besides, who would I color with while you take a smelly Shorty outside?

Our most heartfelt gratitude for making our lives better for your presences in it. Thank you to all who will read this and to all who don't even know that I have. My husband and I are truly blessed.

No comments: